My gym has encouraged us to partake in the 30 challenge to help one of the members who wants to work on her energy, weight loss etc for boxing. We buddy up with another member - my excellent inspiring partner is Ann. We have decided to share our food diaries each day to keep us accountable and avoid the consequences as listed below.
DETAILS OF THE 30 PALEO CHALLENGE
Start Date: May 16th
For 30 days, eating clean – what does that mean?
Are you completely new to primal eating (chocolate Milo cereal for brekkie, sammies for lunch and couldn’t recognise a zucchini if it bit you?) or a veteran (can’t remember the last time you ate sugar and you kill your own meat)?
It’s tough to make changes to dietary habits that may have been a part of your entire life. So take it slow. If you can meet the requirements for an entire week, try the next step.
Step one (Week 1)
• Cut out all liquids except, coffee, tea and water.
• Try to add veggies/fruit to every meal/snack
• Eat some form of animal protein at least 2 times a day
• Reduce, then remove all sugar from your diet
• Take 3 grams of fish oil a day or at least up your fish intake.
Step two (Week 2)
• Reduce, then ultimately eliminate all grains from your diet (oats, rice, corn, quinoa can be the last to go as they don’t contain gluten, but they are still very high in carbs)
• Ensure a serving of healthy fat at every meal/snack (A serving is 1-2 tbs of oil or butter, or 2-4 tbs of avocado, coconut or nuts)
• Eat some form of animal protein at least 3 times a day
• Continue to focus on veggies and fruit, but try to emphasise veggies more. A 3:1 ratio of veggies:fruit is good over the day.
Step three (Week 3)
• Only consume dairy, fruit or starchy veggies such as potatoes, kumara and parsnips AFTER exercise, and only if it lasts longer than 20 mins or is at high intensity. If you can handle dropping the spuds, do so as they are much higher in carbs than all other veggies and are actually not that nutritious.
Step four (Week 4)
This is for people who have their nutrition extremely well dialed in and want to fully lean out. Try for just 30 days.
• Drop dairy, fruit and starchy veg completely
CHEAT: you will owe your partner $40 and 100 burpees. This is borrowed from CrossFit New Zealand who currently has their own challenge underway. If you CHEAT 3x in 30 days, you’re out!
Achievable? I think so!!